Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years


"What do you want me to do?"

I get asked that question a lot whenever I photograph someone.  The hardest thing to convey is that I don't want them to do anything.  "Just be," I tell them.  Rarely does my answer suffice.  I suppose it is understandable why most people find this simple request uncomfortable.  They want direction.  "Tell me what to do," They say.  Nothing comes to mind except, "Say cheese."  

Realize that photography is a conversation between the photographer and his subject.  Direction is like small talk; it prevents those awkward gaps in the conversation when both people are left with nothing to say.  However, we can all agree that small talk does not satisfy.  It is not enough.  Our humanity desires more than shallow interactions and "say cheese" imagery.  We crave relationship.

The best relationships are built over a lengthy period of time.  It is no coincidence that between close friends small talk is unnecessary.  They are not bothered by silence.  Nothing is forced.  Dialogue flows naturally.

I approach photography in a similar fashion.  In regards to my own work, my favorite images are usually the result of a moment of spontaneity.  They are rarely posed and tend to arise organically.  In order for this to happen a relationship has to be established.  My subjects have to be comfortable with me and I with them.  Which is why it takes me for-freakin-ever to get images like the ones above.  

A month ago this situation would not have been possible, not with me in the room anyway.  A sound rapport did not exist.  Now with Austin, I can take pictures of him wherever and whenever I want, but our friendship is 4+ years in the making.  A well established trust exists between us.  He doesn't even notice the camera anymore.  Not so with Lauren.  Frankly, I barely know her.  I have taken her photo before, and they were good images, but they lacked depth.  This was not surprising.  She did not know me either.  Why should she feel comfortable having her picture taken?  Yet, I was able to take these very personal pictures of her and Austin.  What changed?

The images above, taken shortly after the start of the new year, document not just the blossoming of one relationship, but several.  The maturing romance between Austin and Lauren is evident.  Diminished is the effervescent sheen of naive infatuation.  Instead, freedom is present.  A freedom to laugh when something is truly funny.  A freedom to cry when something offends.  A freedom to remain silent when nothing needs to be spoken.

Much more subtle is the narrative of trust between the three of us.  Here is where it gets complicated.  Austin is my friend.  I trust him.  I am Austin's friend.  He trusts me.  Lauren is Austin's girlfriend.  She trusts him.  Austin trusts me, and she trusts him, so she has begun to trust me.  I trust Austin, and he trusts her, so I have begun to trust Lauren.  It's simple really.

This growing web of connectedness allowed me and my camera to be present in these intimate moments, between the two of them, without it just being really weird.  Everyone was themselves.  No one was looking for direction and no one was giving it.  We just were.  Such genuineness takes a long time to cultivate, but it leads to better friendships and makes for iconic images that are compelling and honest.                                                            


1 comment: