Thursday, February 17, 2011

Out of the Darkroom into the Light


I've been fortunate this semester to be taking a darkroom class whilst studying hard at Westmont College.  It has been such a great experience thus far and it truly is a dying art as we are becoming more and more modernized and digital has basically taken over all aspects of photography.  I think future photographers will be missing out on something quite special when film finally does eat the dust.  You learn so much and feel so more in tune with the process of image making when it is you who is doing the processing of the film and printing the images yourself.  When you dirty your hands with the numerous chemicals and watch with anticipation as your image begins to show under the red light of the darkroom, you feel it, that this image was more the just a quick shutter click.  It's art (despite what photography haters try to tell me).  This is a feeling you don't often get with the digital camera, which is something that increasingly frustrates me.  I like the dirtiness of the photographic process and to me, digital is a little too clean.  So i'll be posting some of my favorites from the darkrooom this semster so stay tuned.  Hope you enjoy these two images of some good friends that turned out quite nicely.  (Film Ilford Delta 400 and Kodak TMAX 400).




No comments:

Post a Comment